My plans to zip over to my wife’s workplace with flowers and lunch for a Valentine’s Day surprise were overtaken by a double snow day this year, turning what might have been a romantic moment into a promise unfulfilled, leaving me without a single heart to offer save my own.
Happily, true love doesn’t fade so fast, nor does it depend on any particular trinket. Love is in every moment, if you know where to look, and choose to embrace it, and be grateful.
Every morning as I leave for work, I kiss my wife, and speak love into her day before she wakes. Every night, in the darkness, I whisper my love to her as she sleeps warm beside me. Every day I thank the universe that after over half a lifetime together, there’s still beauty and love in my life.
In her honor, then, and yours: a set of coverfolk love songs released in the last year or two, followed by links back to five mixtapes and features from our Valentine’s Days past. For love is in all ways complicated, always forever and ever new. May you find comfort and hope here, and everywhere, on this most romantic of days, and every day that follows.
Valentine’s Day Present [download here!]
- Renee & Jeremy: Love (orig. John Lennon)
- Lissa Schneckenburger: Tunnel of Love (orig. Dire Straits)
- Scott Matthew: To Love Somebody (orig. Bee Gees)
- Raveena Aurora: Somebody Loved (orig. The Weepies)
- Red Tail Ring: My Heart’s Own Love (orig. Hazel Dickens)
- Elizabeth Mitchell: May This Be Love (orig. Jimi Hendrix)
- Marissa Nadler: The Book Of Love (orig. Magnetic Fields)
- ortoPilot: Make You Feel My Love (orig. Bob Dylan)
- Fiction Family: Friday I’m In Love (orig. The Cure)
- Nell Robinson: Can’t Help Falling In Love (orig. Elvis Presley)
- Session Americana w/ Laura Cortese: Love Changes Everything (orig. Amy Correia)
- The Quiet American: True Love Will Find You In The End (orig. Daniel Johnson)
Valentine’s Days Past